Thanks very much for writing and creating me some Purim treats! Please have fun with this. The only thing I ask is that whatever you write be in the spirit of Purim: no really dark stuff, no complete tragedies. Bittersweet is good, musings and reflections are good, cynical people (Revy from Black Lagoon comes to mind) still being themselves is fine, and so on. And don't be intimidated by my list of stuff here. I myself would rather have more info than less, and it's in that spirit that this is given. But optional details are optional.
I Don't Like:
- Characters acting OOC, especially if the purpose is to force them into a relationship (doubly bad if that relationship is romantic or sexual)
- Romantic/sexual relationships between partners of very uneven levels of power (adult/child, master/servant) - only a couple of writers have ever managed this without squicking me out.
- By-the-numbers, every-action-described explicit sex (first they do this, then they do that, then ...)
- Sweet girlish stuff with no edge (most romance-focused fiction/shoujo manga leave me cold)
- Extensive use of epithets, or epithets that don't match the character POV (no one should think of his or her long-time lover as "the green-eyed man," for example): these will throw me right out of a story
- Friendships - although I am a romantic sort of person, not every relationship has to be romantic (I do like the trope of friends becoming lovers, however)
- Strong characterization (including character-appropriate dialog: no earthy, uneducated characters using $50 words)
- Wry and even dark humor in the course of a more serious story
- Positive emotional payoffs that are well-earned
- Passions that are strong without being mushy/fluffy
- Moments of realization - satori
- And I like any of the following "cool bits":
- being cozy indoors when it's rainy or snowing
- senses of smell and touch and memories attached to them
- warm and oversized bathrobes/dressing gowns or sweaters/jerseys
- cynics with secretly soft hearts
- an autumn leaf or item of clothing as the only bit of color in a bleak landscape
- romantic partners who are both competent
- food porn
- a study or library or even just a book as a refuge against the outside world
- kissing the inside of the elbow or the base of the throat
- old-fashioned sections of town with narrow streets and alleyways and odd shops
- licking honey or something similar off fingers
I'm quite content with both straight and gay relationships. I do tend to ship the canon relationships, unless it's a character who has had no clear relationships shown in the story. I'm not comfortable with sexual relationships shown in children under the age of, say, 14 or so, and even then it's better in context (teens with other teens or in a societal setting where girls expect to marry by 16-18 anyway).
In past years, I've given more details about plot ideas, but I see that we're not supposed to lock our authors in at this point. So here are the characters I like in the fandoms I selected:
Black Lagoon: Benny, Revy, Eda, Balalaika, Shenhua, Sister Yolanda
Alliance-Union - C. J. Cherryh: - Magritte (Meg) Kady, Soheila (Sal) Aboujib (in Heavy TIme / Hellburner)
Cyteen - C. J. Cherryh: Catlin AC-7892 II, Florian AF-9979 II, Ariane Emory II, Jane Strassen, Amy Carnath, Yanni Schwartz ETA: eeek, how could I forget Justin and Grant ALX?
The Eagle of the Ninth Series - Rosemary Sutcliff: Eagle of the Ninth: Cottia; Dawn Wind: Regina
Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch: Beverly Brook, Lesley May
Curtain Up | Theater Shoes - Noel Streatfeild: Uncle Mose Cohen, Lindsay Cohen (that's her married name). Miriam Cohen
Doonesbury: Mark Slackmeyer (OK, here I am going to get specific. I want relationship fic with him and Chase, with a positive ending. Even if it's obviously not permanent.)
DOGS (manga): Lily, Fuyumine Naoto, Mimi, Kiri
Fruits Basket: Sohmas: Rin (Isuzu), Kisa, Satsuki (Hiro and Hinata's mother), Shigure, Ayame, Hatsuharu, Hiro, or Hatori. Also: Arisa Uotani, Saki Hanajima, Kyoko Honda.
Tanakh: Miriam, Deborah
And of course you can look at my own past fics and my bookmarks on AO3 (which, OK, include a lot of explicit stuff, but it's almost all for Saiyuki).